User Tag List

Thread: How To Make An Android App

1. #1 How To Make An Android App 
    16 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    As a small developer, I usually write source code and any products, but today I want you simultaneously illustrate my work and make you a small task. In my guide I will show you how you can program your first application for Android, and all without prior knowledge.

If you already have previous knowledge of a programming language, which is helpful, but it is absolutely not necessary for understanding. Do not worry, I lead you through the steps. Developing for Android takes place mainly in Java, a language that is taught in many programming courses and at many universities. If Java is new to you, but you have other programming experiences have collected, you can easily to learn Java.
    The aim of our little project will be to write an app that displays "Brilliant, I can" on the screen of your android. As a development environment, we will use Android Studio, which was presented at the Google developer conference I / O 2013.

If you already doesnt: (train your brain)
    Ask friends, Google or whoever. Some difficulties in learning in a group, while others are lone Riders. To be able to program successfully, you should definitely consider primarily once completely alone with it. Compile issues and thus go to an experienced programmer to clean all outstanding issues.

First Steps

First, you must download and install Android Studio. The development environment is available free of charge. As a developer, I use Linux, but a version for Windows and Mac is also available. On the website there are detailed instructions for each installation.

Android Studio is written in Java, and we want to write in Java, you must also specify the Java development tools JDK (Java Development Kit) in case your not already have it. We use Oracle JDK7.

We will invite our finished app directly on your smartphone. This requires that your device is enabled on USB debugging. The corresponding setting is found in the developer options of system settings. Over the phone you can enable the developer options by tapping on your build number seven times. Then you can tick the USB debugging.

Your First Project

After you have Android Studio installed and prepared your smartphone, you can start with your first project. In addition you will select in Android Studio New Project. Our project is called "Brilliant, I can," what you can subscribe right under Application name. Fields Module name and Project Location to be filled automatically and you must not change this.

However, under the minimum required SDK SDK, this sets the value to 15. This means that you ignore Android 2.3 (API 8). I am aware that this version of Android currently still has 26 percent market share, but after Christmas could already change quickly. If you are interested in the distribution of the various versions of Android, you can read to your heart's content on the internet after more.

Under Target SDK provides your API 19: Android 4.4 (KitKat) and under LanguageLevel you choose either Java 6 or Java 7 from. Then you kllickt Next.

Since we do not use a custom icon, you can in the next window remove the corresponding hook and engages Next to the following window.

There is nothing to adjust. Click Next again and you see this window.

Again, you have to make any changes, because we are almost done, so click only once on Finish. After all these steps will ensure that your Android smartphone is connected via USB to the computer and USB debugging enabled you what you symbolizes a small icon in the status bar.

Then you can simply click the green play button in the top bar of Android Studio click. The automatically generated code is compiled, transferred to your device and executed there.

If all goes well, your app is now running on your smartphone and shows "xxxxxx" on. A Xxxxx program is typically one of the easiest in a programming language, and is usually used for the demonstration. But we do not just want the world to say hello, but also you.

Now it's down to business, you just created to the adjustment of your app: Android Studio links in a kind of tree is shown with folders and contents. Find the res folder. This is a values-folder in which there is the strings.xml file.

If you click it, you should see a string in the right pane, stands in the "Xxxxx". Here carries your "Brilliant, I can" field. Click again on the green play button the app will run on your Android again and you should be able to see the effect of changing directly.

Localization (usually referred to as l10n) is getting more and more important. Software should be available not only in English, including Google wants to reach the next billion with Android.

I myself come from Osaka in Japan, I live in Austria and speak every day at work in English and Portuguese. We will tell our application so in three languages "Whatever".

If you look at the values of your project folder, you will find there a strings.xml file. To support additional languages, you have to add your your res folder other country-specific values folder. In our case, the values-pt (for Portuguese) and values-de (for German). Now you can copy the file strings.xml from the default folder via copy-paste into the other two folders. The content should of course be adjusted, so we write "Brilliant, I can do it" in the strings.xml the German folder and "Incrível, eu posso" in the Portuguese.

According to your system language You should now get the right message appears if your running on the play button, the app again on your device. More information about the localization of Android apps can be found

Of course complicated apps require more complex source code, but once everyone starts with "xxxxxx" on. I hope I was able to arouse your interest for the development of Android apps. If you enjoyed this guide, please let us know in the comments, and maybe have been engaged in the next time with more complicated tasks.
    Last edited by superbadass; 12-04-2014 at 06:20 PM.
    Reply With Quote   Send PM  

2. Join Date
    Jul 2014

16 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    EDIT, another Clue to do.

The formulations are initially as a pure, human understandable text, as so-called source code. This source code is not directly executable, only the Java compiler (part of the development tool) translates it into a machine readable code. Then one speaks of Java bytecode. The machine that performs that bytecode is virtual. We therefore present no processor, but the appropriate software on the target platform.

You can guess it already - for programming so we need to talk "Java". It is essential to acquire first knowledge of this programming. From my personal experience, I recommend you for the following page:

Once you have overcome you, and have basic knowledge retracted comes to reward a short relaxation: The next step is only the correct installation of the required development environment High German SDK (Software Development Kit). We need Android SDK, Eclipse and JDK. So grab Downloads:
    1. JDK
    Let's start with the JDK (Java Development Kit), this is 32 bit and Windows 64 bit available both for Windows. You can find it here:
    2. Android SDK
    Then we invite us down the Android SDK:
    3. Eclipse
    (Pay attention to exact name!) Last but not least the Eclipse IDE for Java Download Developers:

1. The first makes due to the simplicity, the JDK. Simply click on the file and follow the installation instructions. This is not very difficult and takes a maximum of 2 minutes.
    2. Then we unpack the Android SDK to a designated place (just use the default folder or create a new one) and start after extracting the SDK Manager.exe (Just in the last window of the installation wizard, check the box "Start SKD Manager" left).

This completes the installation is not eternity to complete, I only apply the "Android SDK Platform-tools" and the currently latest version "Android 4.1". Nevertheless, you can now get a coffee or you take the effect of lagged for ages going to the toilet - the installation takes time. Even for a subsequent cigarette reaches the still loose ...
    Once the installation is completed then you can close the Android SDK Manager and ADW.
    3. Next, the file's turn (just pack up again in the same folder) and then start the eclipse.exe file.

Now Eclipse asks for a folder in which it is to save all projects. This looks to me like this: "C: \ Users \ AndroidProgrammierer \ Downloads \ eclipse-java-juno-SR1-win32 \ eclipse \ projects".
    When this is done, the Eclipse interface appears

4. Next, we need to install the ADT (Android Development Tools). Easy to Eclipse surface to Help Install New Software
    Here we carry in the Work with box: "", and then click Add. Now we give a short name click (With me ADT) and "OK". In the field below appear after a short time the Developer Tools

Now just quickly before said developer tools set the hook and click Next!

Eclipse lists exhaustively again all items to be installed on. Simply click Next again and then accept agreements and click Finish. Eclipse will now install the ADT.

Eclipse will ask for during installation if you want to install unsigned software really. Do not worry - just press OK. After a restart of Eclipse installation is complete.

5. We can work with Eclipse, we have to set where Eclipse is the Android SDK. To do this you simply click on Window Preferences and then in the left column on Android. On the right side above the input field where to enter the location of the Android SDK appears. It is easiest if you selecting the folder using Browse is. Hence, you save yourself painstakingly inputting. So in my case it is the folder "C: \ Users \ AndroidProgrammierer \ Desktop \ Android Programming". Eclipse now detects automatically all installed versions of Android. Click OK and everything will be saved.

So you have completed the basic installation for the development of Android apps. Just sit back, have a smoke or iron out the coffee deficiency. We have our gear together and are ready for bigger tasks!

To create a first programming in Android, the title "Hello World" offers - Programmers honor, so to speak. A "Hello World" program is a small and simple computer program. It can show easily that instructions or components of a complete program of a programming language is required. So that we get the first glimpse of the syntax of Java. Task of the program is to "Hello World!" Output the text. Why do we do with it? Wikipedia writes: "Because of the simple tasks, such programs are particularly suitable for teaching purposes". That is what we need!
    Since we want to make something of your own, we could also call "Hello Rookie!" The Android app for fun, which means as much as a beginner or novice.
    You open now first of all Eclipse ADT we have already installed. Then start the user interface a new project.

So now opens our workplace. Here you click on the top bar on the button Opens a wizard to help create a new Android project.

In the new window, you must specify the name of our project now. As an Application Name you write simple "Hello World" or "Hello Rookie". As you build SDK allows the specified version of Android available, which we have installed all together. The Minimum Required SDK should already be filled
    Additional info: If you want to later spread the Android app, you should ideally choose, because just run on many smartphones have old versions of Android smallest possible Android version as "Build SDK".
    The project name was again filled in automatically - You can leave it. As a package name I "" is entered. The default "com.example" is just a placeholder and may not be used. The package name should remain for all your future applications the same, it has you down Eclipse in English! So Think you exactly what you enter here. The check in the Create Project Workspace allows you to stand. The hook at Create custom launcher icon please remove we are at the beginning of our programming experience and still do not need a logo.

In the next window, just leave the hook on the Create Activity and click Next.

In the following window once all the hooks left as they are, and press Next.

If Eclipse in the next and last window in the install dependencies make bitches, easy Install / Upgrade button. You may have noticed that slept during installation. But is not a problem, after the short installation to go from here. Only click Finish, and we YOU'VE GOT done! The project is created.

The nervousness increases, equal, then you'll see your first programmed application run for the first time. These now as the debug button press. If I'm not mistaken, then this should be a little bug.

It now appears a selection screen where you shall specify that you want to run the program. Since it is in our App for Android, you can choose from at this point Android Application. Now the app in the Android emulator should start.
    With me but now came the following problem: "No compatible targets were found Do you wish to add New Android Virtual Device.?" Should this be the case with you, you can do hereby Remedy:
    First of all, Yes and Yes click. This opens the AVD Manager (Android Virtual Device).

Here click New, then a window opens with several input fields. The first asks for a name. Since I now call it even "catching up" ...

In the next field target I have only one possibility, namely the version I have installed. So this select and advance to next parameter. When CPU / Abi I chose the top option, simply look in the drop-down menu.
    Then you can create a SD card with selectable size, for our purposes (not commercial, we try just only rum) simple example, an SD card with 80 MB create. If you already have one, you can choose among these in the field.
    Now to the snapshot. The images are so to speak, of a Android Virtual Device which can be downloaded very easily. Enable this parameter. A check mark and finished.
    Next selection: Skin. Here You already have the choice between several skins. At this stage it is sufficient to select the default skin Default (WVGA800).
    DC wir's did. Is now open yet the selection of additional hardware. For our current test app we need anything. If you want to eventually involve, for example, the camera in an app, you must select it here.

Click Lastly Create AVD. Running.

The app can be started (if not self - Debug as - as before) now. Of course, nothing happens still. But that was not our goal. You can calmly look at the structure of your project and try one or the other in the Main Activity you now. Just a little experiment. For this you need the targeted Java skills. All the more, the better! What made this or your next app is up to you and your commitment.

If one or more steps despite my careful as possible instructions do not work, then you let help! In almost every forum you can find many Android developers who like to help you - just give a detailed description of your problem or your question and the whole thing in the right tone.

It's a start!

To put it quite philosophically: You are going to fledge and go your own way. A beginner, a rookie you are not already. Support you can find but still: To save you even here unnecessary searching and wasted time, some tips:
    It only brings more you if you try out many things as possible and try. Learning by doing! Numerous websites and forums offer help and tutorials that guide you on to your next task or wait with helpful tips on. Help but it can also be easily read by a code of a larger project. Or you go the traditional route of books. Most of the literature is in English, examples would be here "Android 2 Application Development" by Reto Meier or "android: Fundamentals and Programming" by Arno Becker.

Now I still have to wish you much success and perseverance. It does not always everything at once, stay tuned!
    Last edited by superbadass; 12-04-2014 at 07:44 PM.

16 Post(s)
    0 Thread(s)
    Edit again. .

A good forum for Android programmers (maybe).

Thanked 16,509 Times in 939 Posts
    398 Post(s)
    10 Thread(s)
    Oh mein Gott! Oy vey ist mir!
    Spread the Word!
    Tell all your friends, family, blogs, forums about this page!

VIP PLUS is officially open
    Hidden Content

List of VIP mod and hacks:
    Hidden Content

If my mods need updating --> PM me

If you like my work, you can donate. Hidden Content Thank you! Hidden Content

My Skills:
    Spoiler Alert!