ZERO is a new Android Launcher that aims to be simple, light and fast while also offering the same sort of functionality others offer and some stylish themes and animations. In a crowded market of launchers for our Android devices, ZERO takes a little bit from one launcher, some more from another and brings them all together with its own outlook for what the perfect homescreen should be. Thereís a premium theme unlocked every day for free, some compelling animations and a focus on being light and fast (the 1MB or so file size drives that point home nicely) with loading times of under a second on most devices. The question is though, is ZERO too focused on being light and fast? Read on to find out.
How it Works
Youíll first need to download ZERO from the Play Store, and after that youíll be able to take a look at whatís on offer. Just like other Launchers, youíll need to set ZERO as your default home launcher if you plan on using it for long.
Iíve used a great many Android launchers since I started using the OS back in the days of Android 2.2, but they often fall into two different camps. The ones which try too hard and offer far too many features and those that simply donít offer enough. ZERO happily sits in the middle, it has all the visual flare and whizz bang effects that you could want in such an app, and it has the key features too. Itís super-quick as well, I was a little skeptical at first but wow, this is a speedy launcher. I liked the overall look and feel, it was easy to navigate, easy to customize and the icons look nice, too. I wasnít a fan of losing the app drawer at all though, but a lot of launchers from Asia seem to be doing that, and I donít know why. Still, if that sounds good to you then ZERO shouldnít disappoint you at all.
- Speed (5/5) Ė Easily the fastest launcher that Iíve used in a long time, ZERO ran great on the Xperia Z3 I have here and lower-end devices, too.
- Features (4/5) Ė A nice blend of what youíd expect and some light touches that make a lot of sense, ZERO has those little extras you want, but none of the extras youíll never use.
- Theme (4/5) Ė With lots of different themes available (a free one every day) ZERO is easily customizable at every turn and itís really slick.
- Overall (4.5/5) Ė An excellent middleground, ZERO offers all the features you want from a 3rd party launcher and none of the extra stuff youíd never use. Itís a really compelling mix and it looks great and runs super-quick.
- Really, really fast. Loads quickly, super smooth and itís quick to set up, too.
- Lots of cool animations that help to show off the speed of your smartphone.
- Free theme every day, with hundreds to choose from.
- ZERO can be changed to exactly how you like it, and even features a Material design look out of the box.
- I really missed the app drawer.
- It didnít seem clear whether I could change icon packs with those installed from the Play Store or not.
Conclusion: Really speedy, with a ton of options you genuinely want in a launcher, ZERO seems to have created an excellent blend of what people want, and what people will use. Some launchers load up with gestures, a million different settings and more. ZERO on the other hand is just enough, thereís no shortage of settings here, but itís not overloaded. The animations are cool and this is one of the fastest launchers, if not the fastest that I have used in a long time.